- This website is operated by the Bombay International School Association (“BISA”). The website contains information and material relating to the Bombay International School (“BIS”), including the IB Diploma Programme offered by the school. The IB Diploma Programme of the school is administered by the Education Initiative Trust (“EIT”). BISA and EIT are societies registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 and public trusts registered under the Bombay Public Trusts Act, 1950, having their registered office at Gilbert Building, Babulnath 2nd Cross Road, Mumbai – 400 007. The term “BIS” should be read in this document as a reference to BISA and/or EIT as the case may be and/or as the context may require. The terms “BISA” and “EIT” should be read as meaning and including their trustees, Board of Governors, officers and employees.
- BIS acknowledges your right to privacy. This policy summarizes what personally identifiable information and aggregate information BIS may collect when the Users visit and/or register themselves on the BIS website and domain name www.bis.edu.in and how BIS might use this information. This policy also describes other important topics relating to the User’s privacy in relation to use of the Website.
Collection of Personal Information
A. Information voluntarily provided directly to BIS
The User is not required to provide BIS directly with any personal information in order to view the Website. However, in order to access and/or use certain content and/or features and/or functions of and/or on the Website, BIS may ask the User to provide certain information, including but not limited to:
- Contact information, such as the User’s name, postal address, email address, phone number, mobile number and contact preferences;
- Username and password;
- Financial information for effecting payment, such as credit card information transmitted over secure network PCI DSS certified. At no point will any financial information be stored on the BIS site;
- Search queries conducted on the Website; and
- Other content generated by the User or connected to the User’s account.
B. Non-personal information automatically collected when the User interacts with the Website
While the User may visit the Website without revealing any personal information, certain information may be collected by the Website automatically. Illustratively:
- The User’s internet protocol address;
- The User’s browser type and operating system;
- Webpages and advertisements viewed and/or clicked upon within the Website;
- Bandwidth speed and software programs installed on the User’s computer;
- Standard server log information; and
- Information collected through data collection technologies in the nature of cookies and web beacons. Cookies are small files that are installed in your browser. The Website will be able to access only cookies installed by it and not those of any other website. Web beacons are codes that deliver graphic images onto the Website and that can recognize certain information on the User’s computer such as cookies, the time and date a page is viewed, etc.
Use of Information collected by BIS
A. Use of personal information directly provided by the User
- The personal information provided by the User will be used by BIS only for the purpose for which it was obtained, to contact the User about their account, and/or to prevent, mitigate and investigate fraudulent and/or illegal activities.
- Additionally, the aforesaid personal information may also be used in order to ensure compliance with any legal and/or regulatory obligations, including requests if any, from law enforcement entities and/or to commence and/or defend any legal claim against the User.
B. Use of non-personal aggregate information automatically collected when the User interacts with the Website
- The non-personal information collected automatically on visiting and/or interacting with the Website may be used by BIS to run algorithms for its own internal analytics and research as to the demographics, interests, and behaviors of various users and to better understand and serve their interests.
- Cookies are used for various purposes including:
– allowing the User to enter the password for their account less frequently;
– recognizing the browser of a previous User and saving any preferences set by the User;
– customizing content and advertisements per User preferences and targeting user interests;
– tracking User activity; and
– to improve the Website services.
- All such information shall be used in aggregate form thereby ensuring User anonymity.
Disclosure and/or sharing of information by BIS
- BIS will keep all personal user information confidential and will not rent and/or sell such information.
- Personal User information may be shared and/or disclosed only in certain circumstances, including as below:
– for any purpose mandated by law, including requirements of legal proceedings;
– third parties may be appointed by BIS to carry out activities in relation to the Website, including general maintenance, marketing and/or data processing and may be provided access to
information for the limited purpose of carrying out such functions;
– security and protection in any manner whatsoever of the User and/or other users of the Website and/or of the Website and/or of the employees of BIS, including unauthorised use and/or
misuse of the Website.
Choice of the User
- The User may refuse to provide any of the information requested by the Website at any time. However, in such cases, the User may be prevented from using certain features of the Website that require such information.
- Users may decline to permit the Website’s cookies if so permitted by their browser. In such cases however, Users may be unable to use certain features on the Website. Additionally, Users set their preferences as to acceptance of cookies from their browser or may delete all cookies from their browser at any time.
- The security of individual accounts is entirely the responsibility of the User and it is recommended that the User maintains the confidentiality of the account login credentials, including the password and does not share the same with any third party.
- BIS and/or its employees and/or affiliates will never ask for the User’s password through any means of communication; the same is required to be entered into by the User on the Website interface alone. Should there be any concern of misuse and/or unauthorized access to the User’s account, the User may inform BIS immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- It is the responsibility of the User to ensure that irrespective of the nature of the device used by the User to access the Website, the same is secure and all necessary steps are taken to ensure that auto-fillers within the User’s browsers do not cause leakages of critical information.
- The information provided to BIS is stored internally on BIS’ systems and the same is protected against unauthorised physical and/or electronic access including by way of encrypted data storage, password protected data access, firewall against spam attack and data back-up.
- As stated above, the information provided to BIS is shared on a strictly need-to-know basis. BIS does not retain any information for any longer than is reasonably required by it for the purpose of its services or beyond such period as may be required by applicable laws in India.
- Financial information such as that of the User’s credit and/or debit cards will be dependent on third party payment gateways for security and storing information. The sharing of any and all credit and/or debit card information by the User is at the User’s sole risk.
- BIS takes the security of the Website and User information seriously and will continue to enhance the same from time to time. However, given that by the very nature of transmission of information online, while BIS will take all reasonable measures to protect User information, BIS cannot guarantee the absolute security of the information provided to it, particularly in relation to compromise of data as a result of specified hacking. The User hereby absolves BIS of any liability for any leakage of data and/or information provided by him/her/it and confirms that BIS will not be held responsible for the same.
This document is published in accordance with the provisions of the Information Technology Act, 2000, the Information Technology (Reasonable security practices and procedures and sensitive personal data or information) Rules, 2011 and the Information Technology (Intermediaries Guidelines) Rules, 2011.